More Lebanese sweets! Harissa, a dessert made with cream of wheat (and other yummy ingredients) is eaten with atyr, that delicious syrup made of sugar and water. Preparation is not too difficult, you will just need to mix your ingredients together and bake them!
If you're craving a dessert that will truly satisfy your sweet tooth, this is the recipe for you!
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
1. Put 2 cups of sugar in a small pot and add 1 cup of water and 1/2 teaspoon of rose water, on medium low heat, stir with wooden spoon and let it come to a boil (about 10 minutes)
2. After 10 minutes, at this point syrup has been boiling and thickening, turn stove off and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and let cool off in pot
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 8x8 or 11x7 baking pan (depending on how thick you want your harissa)
4. Add semolina (cream of wheat) to bowl
5. Melt butter (takes about a minute to melt in microwave)
6. Add sugar, yogurt, baking powder, melted butter & mix well
7. Pour into baking pan, evenly spread out, wiggle pan a few times if needed to make sure it’s all packed in
8. Add to bottom rack of oven for 45 minutes and move to the top rack for the remaining 5 minutes
9. Cut immediately after taking it out of the oven into squares, or whatever shape you choose
10. Once cut, pour atyr. Atyr is optional, you can pour it right on and let it soak, or you can pour it on each individual piece you serve
11. *Optional, add nuts to pan prior to baking by sprinkling it on, or garnish after baked